Justice For Jane
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Justice For Jane

A home for those seeking to share and search for justice in the Jane Bashara murder!

To Order J4J Items- All proceeds donated to the Jane Bashara Memorial Labyrinth
CLICK HERE
Jane Bashara Memorial Labyrinth
CLICK HERE

Latest topics

» Bob Bashara Sentencing and the fate of Joe Gentz
by CuriousPortlander Fri 15 Jul 2016, 1:26 pm

» TRIAL! JUSTICE FOR JANE!
by Justice4Jane Fri 09 Jan 2015, 7:19 pm

» Preliminary Hearing in the Bob Bashara Murder Trial
by Justice4Jane Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:03 pm

» Just for Chat
by Freckles Mon 25 Aug 2014, 11:38 am

» Bashara Murder Charges: 1st Degree, 1st Degree Conspiracy & Solicitation + Perjury, Witness Intimidation & Obstruction of Justice
by meandmyshadow Mon 09 Sep 2013, 9:47 pm

» Gentz Sentencing Jan. 29th & Bashara Murder Charges
by Justice4Jane Wed 17 Apr 2013, 12:11 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Preliminary Hearing in the Bob Bashara Murder Trial

+21
ohwow1
TheEditor
WildChild
GPPGRL
CuriousPortlander
justanopinion
smallal
loc
Bricktop
Glorybee
Fifteen30
silver1
Laker
EllsBells
kittygirl
chewet
family4ever
TheEndIsNear
meandmyshadow
AnalyzeThis
Justice4Jane
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

chewet

chewet

TheEditor wrote:Somehow I get the idea Gina doesn't like the liveblogging.
Good to see you, Editor! Not at all, imo--Gina's been great with it all week-- I'm thinking they had to shut it down cuz she was overwhelmed with a tsunami of comments because everyone is just so darn happy with King's remarks! She deserves a looonnnnggg weekend off Very Happy

Last edited by chewet on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

smallal

smallal

kittygirl wrote:Master Rick aka Midnight Rider

way way way more sleazy than any of the convicts that they put up on the stand today.
Sounded as if Sir Rick was doing "breath play" on himself as he testified. He appeared to be attempting to help Blob but was impeached by his own testimony.

TheEditor

Well, she never really engaged us. And she definitely cut off some snark.

I happen to be acquainted with Gina. I grew up two doors down from her aunt, and Gina took care our dog when we went to Florida. I think that was 12-13 years ago.

TheEditor

She certainly cut off some of *my* snark anyway.

kittygirl

kittygirl

TheEditor wrote:She certainly cut off some of *my* snark anyway.
Today I was being heavily moderated as well!

Can't imagine why!scratch 

chewet

chewet

smallal wrote:
Sounded as if Sir Rick was doing "breath play" on himself as he testified. He appeared to be attempting to help Blob but was impeached by his own testimony.
LMAO, smallal!! I was texting a friend during this: "Make him stop! OMG, he is panting again. I cannot hear a thing but his breathing. Ewww. Just ewwww."

TheEditor

Perhaps Jim spoiled us for any other moderator.

kittygirl wrote:
Today I was being heavily moderated as well!

Can't imagine why!scratch 

chewet

chewet

Oh... I wouldn't take it personally. I made a couple remarks about our witness's annoying panting and those didn't make it either....

Bahhhaaaaaa!

But feel free to share here! We love comic relief...

kittygirl

kittygirl

chewet wrote:
smallal wrote:
LMAO, smallal!! I was texting a friend during this: "Make him stop! OMG, he is panting again. I cannot hear a thing but his breathing. Ewww. Just ewwww."
it gets hot under the leathers, chewy.

TheEditor

Being somewhat, um, vanilla in my tastes I did suggest that at my house an attempt at "breath play" would probably be met with an attempt at "wild, swinging fist play". Somehow that didn't make it thru. No doubt Jimbo would have let it pass.

chewet wrote:Oh... I wouldn't take it personally. I made a couple remarks about our witness's annoying panting and those didn't make it either....

Bahhhaaaaaa!

EllsBells

EllsBells

Does anyone know the basis for Judge King adding "felony firearms" to the list of alleged crimes? There was no evidence that I recall about the gun being illegally procured or not registered to BB, unless he's basing it on the Dateline segment that Boob insists he doesn't own a gun.

Not that I'm averse to piling on, just curious ...

kittygirl

kittygirl

I am curious about that too, Ells. Because they didn't produce any evidence as to the gun being used in the commission of a crime and at the time of Bob's physical possession of the gun he was not yet considered a felon because he hadn't committed the act of soliciting Joe Gentz yet.

smallal

smallal

EllsBells wrote:Does anyone know the basis for Judge King adding "felony firearms" to the list of alleged crimes? There was no evidence that I recall about the gun being illegally procured or not registered to BB, unless he's basing it on the Dateline segment that Boob insists he doesn't own a gun.

My guess is that this gun may have been used by Blob to coerce Gentz into murdering Jane in the garage. If that is so, then there is also a charge of use of a firearm in committing a felony. And it may had been included in the original charges if the prosecution had known about the gun. I think it was a recent revelation as it came into MSP possession in September.

I am also curious if the report of a witness observing the car ballet, Blob moving his car while Gentz left with Janes car and her body inside was put out as a bait to see what Blobs reaction would be. Obviously he bit on it according to the testimony of Eileen Stratelak. Or did this witness actually exist ?

Last edited by smallal on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bricktop

Bricktop

EllsBells wrote:Does anyone know the basis for Judge King adding "felony firearms" to the list of alleged crimes? There was no evidence that I recall about the gun being illegally procured or not registered to BB, unless he's basing it on the Dateline segment that Boob insists he doesn't own a gun.

Could he have the court clerk check to see if there was a gun registered to blob, or would it be up to the lawyers to state that? I wonder if it was in any court documents that there was no gun registered to blob?

chewet

chewet

kittygirl wrote:I am curious about that too, Ells. Because they didn't produce any evidence as to the gun being used in the commission of a crime and at the time of Bob's physical possession of the gun he was not yet considered a felon because he hadn't committed the act of soliciting Joe Gentz yet.
Bricktop wrote:Could he have the court clerk check to see if there was a gun registered to blob, or would it be up to the lawyers to state that?  I wonder if it was in any court documents that there was no gun registered to blob?  
Excerpted from the Michigan Penal Code:
"750.227b Carrying or possessing firearm when committing or attempting to commit felony; “law enforcement officer” defined.

Sec. 227b.

(1) A person who carries or has in his or her possession a firearm when he or she commits or attempts to commit a felony, except a violation of section 223, section 227, 227a or 230, is guilty of a felony, and shall be imprisoned for 2 years....."

BBM

No legal eagle, but I'm curious too, and am wondering Kitty if "possession" can extend to the fact the firearm is kept in one's safe deposit box (or any off premises site, for example) as the box was in Bob's name too. He was the only other one with a key. I mean, geez, he could have easily gone to the bank in June 2012, retrieved the gun and handed it to Tibaudo, you know? I'm thinking that's where "has in his or her possession" comes from?

EllsBells

EllsBells

If anyone missed Judge King's awesome recitation of his decision, here is the link:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/courtroom-video-judges-decision-to-try-bob-bashara/-/1719418/21923584/-/15k3clgz/-/index.html

http://live.freep.com/Event/Live_blog_Day_5_of_Bob_Bashara_preliminary_exam_in_Jane_Bashara_murder_case

Listening to the decision again, it sounds like the prosecution amended the charges to include "felony firearms" --- not the judge --- which makes sense as there was no testimony supporting the use of a firearm in the commission of a felon in the prelim. However, the prosecution has evidence of that and now can make the charge since a gun  has been linked to Bashara very recently.

Again, Judge King rocks!

Last edited by EllsBells on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

meandmyshadow

meandmyshadow

chewet wrote:
Oh... I wouldn't take it personally. I made a couple remarks about our witness's annoying panting and those didn't make it either....

Bahhhaaaaaa!

I had a couple comments that didn't make the cut either. We sassy!!!!!!

Justice4Jane

Justice4Jane
Admin

Witness Larry Ellington, a cell mate of Bashara for about six weeks at Oaks Correctional Facility when he said Bashara asked him about doing a “hit” on Gentz, witness Steve Virgona, and a third man.

Does anyone recall the name of the third person? I know it was printed somewhere but I can't find it now.....

https://justice4jane.forumotion.com

smallal

smallal

Justice4Jane wrote:Witness Larry Ellington, a cell mate of Bashara for about six weeks at Oaks Correctional Facility when he said Bashara asked him about doing a “hit” on Gentz, witness Steve Virgona, and a third man.

Does anyone recall the name of the third person? I know it was printed somewhere but I can't find it now.....
I think it was the two Steves(Virgona and Tibaudo) and Gentz.

Justice4Jane

Justice4Jane
Admin

smallal wrote:
Justice4Jane wrote:Witness Larry Ellington, a cell mate of Bashara for about six weeks at Oaks Correctional Facility when he said Bashara asked him about doing a “hit” on Gentz, witness Steve Virgona, and a third man.

I think it was the two Steves(Virgona and Tibaudo) and Gentz.
I thought there was another name like Patterson maybe? It was a name that was new.

Justice4Jane

Justice4Jane
Admin

Found it.  Timothy Ramsey, it's about at the 58:00 mark. So it was Joe Gentz, Steve Tibaudo and Timothy Ramsey.

https://youtu.be/y2I4YewNOYU

122Preliminary Hearing in the Bob Bashara Murder Trial - Page 3 Empty Prelim Coverage Notes, etc. Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:46 pm

chewet

chewet

Was just catching up on coverage of last week's hearing at other sites, as we simply haven't been able to keep up with notes, links etc...

For anyone interested in recaps, our friends over at Reality Chatter have done a fantastic job!

J4Jer & regular RC blogger Curious Portlander has daily notes posted there:

http://www.realitychatter.com/t3804p900-jane-bashara-deceased-1-24-12

Thank you CP!! flower 

(Preliminary Hearing coverage begins toward the bottom of page 19 & continue through page 21)

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

chewet wrote:Was just catching up on coverage of last week's hearing at other sites, as we simply haven't been able to keep up with notes, links etc...

For anyone interested in recaps, our friends over at Reality Chatter have done a fantastic job!

J4Jer & regular RC blogger Curious Portlander has daily notes posted there:

http://www.realitychatter.com/t3804p900-jane-bashara-deceased-1-24-12

Thank you CP!! flower 

(Preliminary Hearing coverage begins toward the bottom of page 19 & continue through page 21)
Chewet, thanks so much for your kind words!  You're very welcome!

I was going to post a link here to my notes at RC, but wasn't sure if it was appropriate, so thank you for doing that.  I've also posted all of the videos from the preliminary exam, so if anyone has missed any of it, you can find them by following Chewet's link.

meandmyshadow

meandmyshadow

Thank you Curious!!!! I wasn't able listen in to the last couple days of testimony so wasn't able to give a summary. Feel free to double post rather than link. I know all of us would appreciate you effort!

Justice4Jane

Justice4Jane
Admin

Freckles had a great catch so I brought it over from RC

Big thanks to Curiuos as well......

Re: Jane Bashara -- Deceased 1/24/12
by Freckles on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:52 pm

At @ 10:50 it is stated Jane's purse was in the front seat of the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8hdaH4ygBU

At @ 5:00 BB told wit he had entered the home, saw Jane's purse in the house, used the toilet and left:
Eileen S vid from above.

Problem:
How did the purse get from the house to the car, BB?
You lied.
Again.

justanopinion

justanopinion

I am not usually this naive... however, I am wondering if in Bob's Alternative lifestyle is there not a component where the women (slave) at least needs to be attracted to the master? Or does it enhance the slave relationship if they think the person is a balding, double chinned disgusting man? I am actually not trying to be making negative comments about Bob (even if they fit) I am curious?

kittygirl

kittygirl

justanopinion wrote:I am not usually this naive... however, I am wondering if in Bob's Alternative lifestyle is there not a component where the women (slave) at least needs to be attracted to the master? Or does it enhance the slave relationship if they think the person is a balding, double chinned disgusting man? I am actually not trying to be making negative comments about Bob (even if they fit) I am curious?
I am not a slave (and really if you read Rachel's blog she's not one either) but I can tell you that physical attraction in BDSM is no different than in a regular non power exchange/non kinky type relationship.  I think, however, that a lot of people with self esteem issues find BDSM and are attracted to it and that may make them more apt to associate with people who they may not be especially physically attracted to because attention is attention.  And then there are people who do not place a lot of emphasis on physical attraction in a relationship, period.  

It is not more slavelike to be in a relationship with a guy that is homely than a guy who is hot.  It's all in who you decide to accept as your Master and for what reasons are important to you.

justanopinion

justanopinion

kittygirl wrote:
justanopinion wrote:I am not usually this naive... however, I am wondering if in Bob's Alternative lifestyle is there not a component where the women (slave) at least needs to be attracted to the master? Or does it enhance the slave relationship if they think the person is a balding, double chinned disgusting man? I am actually not trying to be making negative comments about Bob (even if they fit) I am curious?
I am not a slave (and really if you read Rachel's blog she's not one either) but I can tell you that physical attraction in BDSM is no different than in a regular non power exchange/non kinky type relationship.  I think, however, that a lot of people with self esteem issues find BDSM and are attracted to it and that may make them more apt to associate with people who they may not be especially physically attracted to because attention is attention.  And then there are people who do not place a lot of emphasis on physical attraction in a relationship, period.  

It is not more slavelike to be in a relationship with a guy that is homely than a guy who is hot.  It's all in who you decide to accept as your Master and for what reasons are important to you.
Thank you for explaining that ... guess I am confused... lol I really don't care what someone looks like... but the inside of someone is what attracts me... and Bob isn't either in MHO...So really having a tough time understanding what made him attractive to all these women. thought maybe if I could glimpse that I could understand how he was able to manipulate and have the life he did? guess I just don't and won't ever comprehend.

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Per your requests, I'm posting my notes and all the videos from the preliminary hearing:

My notes from Day 1:

Witness 1:  William McQueen; witness from church

• witnessed argument between Jane and Bob on Jan. 22

Witness 2:  Stephanie Samuels, Bob's cousin

• said that in July, 2012, Nancy (Bob's mother) took her to the bank where her safety deposit box was (for which only she and Bob had keys).  Nancy took out a gun (which Bob said he never owned).
  • She took gun and put it in Bob's buffet.  Then showed it to Griem.
  • She gave gun to Griem; he put it in his safe.
  • She said this event caused her to hire an attorney, and she was granted immunity as it "relates to certain physical evidence that came into her possession"
  • Bob asked her to clear out all papers from Bob's office.  She moved all papers into plastic tubs and took to her home.  This was in July (2012?).
  • She sorted through tubs and found a box of bullets.  She turned those over to police.
  • Bob never told her about marital problems, wanting a divorce, or an open marriage.
  • Confronted Bob about "open marriage" comment on TV; she asked if he was having an affair; he said no.  Confrontations were by Stephanie, Nancy, and Bob's sister (Laura?)
  • He told Stephanie he needed to use her phone because his had died.  Sounds like he called the woman in Oregon on it.
  • Bob originally said the attack on Jane was a random one.  After the affair came out, he said he was a person of interest. Bob said that Joe called Middlesex home and told him he needed money for his daughter.  Bob never mentioned anything about a Cadillac until it came out in the media.
  • Bob had a renter, April.  April's former boyfriend called Bob.  Stephanie heard the message;  said April or current boyfriend had something to do with murder. Bob never reported to police.
  • She took notes for William Schatz as a character reference for Bob.
  • Bob told Stephanie he was set up (and not guilty) of solicitation of murder.
  • Bob, just after in jail for solicitation, instructed her to evict a tenant.
  • Griem gave her discovery (that was another no-no)

Witness #3:  Nancy Bashara (Bob's mother)

• opened safety deposit box; had not seen pouch before, but pouch was in bag Bob had given her; saw gun and jewelry

Witness #4:  Sgt. Twana Powell; MI state police

• Sept. 4 2013 - retrieved firearm from David Griem's office (32 caliber revolver; chrome with black handle)

Witness #5:  Robert John Godard, Jr; did business with Bob; known him for about 20 years; eventually became friends with Bob and Jane

• became involved in alternative lifestyle (BDSM); Bob introduced the lifestyle to this witness
  • invited this witness to parties in dungeon
  • met Rachel thru Bob; he told witness he cared for her very much, and that they were going to buy a home together and make a life together (roughly Oct. 2011)
  • Bob introduced him to other women
    Bob said he wasn't happy with his wife; he was hoping she would get into BDSM, and she wouldn't
  • Bob told witness that Rachel was his slave
  • At lunch, Bob asked him if he could "rough somebody up".  He said he didn't know anyone who could.

Witness #6:  Patricia Matthews - knew Jane since they were 15; Jane was her best friend

• Jane told her Bob had erectile dysfunction; sort of reconciled herself to a sexless marriage
  • Jane told her Bob always lied; couldn't trust him with money
  • Kids caught him watching porn (and he was going into their emails and answering as if them)
  • He didn't have any boundaries; she wanted to stay in the marriage; he wanted out
  • She retired; based on how Bob was handling rentals, financial problems required her to go back to work
  • He wanted to take money out of her retirement account; Jane said no; he removed 10K without her permission
  • Bob said he had to go to a sanitation seminar; Jane said he called her from there
  • Bob said he had to go to FL for a golf thing; she (not sure if Jane or witness) called the guy he was supposed to be with, and he said Bob wasn't with him and asked him to cover for Bob

Court in recess until tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. Eastern.

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

RAW: Bob Bashara's cousin speaks at prelim exam

Published On: Sep 09 2013 04:08:33 PM EDT   Updated On: Sep 09 2013 05:23:01 PM EDT

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/raw-bob-basharas-cousin-speaks-during-prelim-exam/-/1719418/21854154/-/afwpjgz/-/index.html

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Video replay: Witnesses testisfy in first day of Bob Bashara preliminary exam
3:16 PM, Sep. 9, 2013

Watch live streaming video from freeplive at livestream.com

Source:  http://www.freep.com/livestream/article/20130909/NEWS05/130908009/bob-bashara-jane-bashara-murder-trial

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Preliminary Exam, Day 2 Notes:

Some news channel was showing witness faces; judge said don't do that
Prosecutor wants to add count on firearms for two charges

Witness #7:   Dr. Francisco Diaz; Wayne County ME
Jan. 26, 2012:  did autopsy on Jane; published report
Cause of death:  strangulation
Manner of death:  homicide

• Constellation of injuries (head, face,neck, upper chest)
  • Strangulation and  blunt trauma to head; bleeding into brain; trauma upper chest
  • Exhibit 13:  picture of fingers; shows unsightly torn fingernails of right hand
  • Exhibit 14:  photo of face, left side; shows blunt trauma and evidence of strangulation
  • very large abrasion with large hematoma; from left ear to left chin (6.25 in.)
    also abrasion of more than 3 in on left side of neck
  • blunt trauma upper chest; extensive bruising
  • multiple instances of injury
  • Exhibit 15:  side profile, right; rectangular abrasion right chin area; 3/4 of face suffused (congested) from accumulation of blood
  • Exhibit 16:  main injury; trachea was crushed; requires significant force; blunt trauma evidence
  • Exhibit 17:  (missed; sound too choppy); profuse bleeding at scalp from multiple blows
  • Exhibit 18:  photo of brain; extensive bleeding into brain; indicates blunt trauma
    windpipe crushed
  • multiple petichae - pinpoint bleeding (result of strangulation)
  • Exhibit 19:  larynx (voicebox) - upper portion shows multiple pinpoint hemmorrhages; confluent bleeding
  • Not a quick and painless death; wasn't instantaneous; as long as 3-4 minutes; extensive trauma from upper chest to top of head

Cross-exam:
can't tell how many blows to head except "multiple"

Redirect:  Possible injury was caused by a boot

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Really rough notes (bear with me!):

Witness # 8:  Stan Brue  (ATF agent) forensics for cell phone analysis

Used penlink software for analysis
Jan 25, 2012; started collecting cell phone data
259,000 call records (Bashara cell/landline) (missed time frame)
Aug 1-Jan 28:  top 4 people he called:  Robert Fick  652 ; Rachel Gilette 574; 555 to Jane; 472 to Joe Gentz; 203 Rachel's office (all from cell)
landline/cell combined:  Rachel 1026; 775 to Jane's cell/BB home; 652 to Fick; 472 to Joe Gentz
Gentz and BB first contacted by cell phone in Sept. 27, 2011
Sept. 27, 2011 - 3 calls from Steve Tibaudo to Joe Gentz
Gentz calls Tibaudo, then calls BB; checks VM, calls Steve T

Sept. 27-30 2011:  9 calls between BB/Joe cell phones; BB initiated 3; Joe 6
Oct:  147 calls:  Bob initiated 55; Gentz 92
Nov:  152 calls:  Bob __;  Joe 57
Dec.   62 calls; BB 20, Joe 42
Jan:  102 calls:  BB 62; Joe 35  (36 between 1/21 and 1/24 - BB 33; Joe 3)

1/21:  3 calls; BB 2; Joe 1
1/22:  4 calls; BB 4
1/23:  23 calls; BB 23 (day before murder); last call at 11:06 p.m. to Joe; first call to Joe
1/24:  7 calls; BB 5; Joe 2 (first 4 calls in am - 3 to Joe, 1 to Rachel's home) between 6:24 and 7 something a.m.
of all calls, none before 8 am until 1/23/24; 10 were before 8 a.m.
1/25:  call pattern changes dramatically
12 calls between 1/25 and 1/30; Joe initiated 10
1/25:  3:40 Joe called BB; 1 min
1/26: Nancy B's phone called Joe ; 1 min 22 secs; only instance of Nancy's phone calling Gentz
1/29:  BB called Joe; 1 min 17 secs
Dec. 26 2011 - Jan  - BB calls indicate location as South Carolina
1/12 - 1/15 - BB calls from Eugene Oregon, SLC, Utah

Gentz records
12/10/11:  received BB call 5:07  4 min. 29 secs
next 5 were text msgs to 302 area code

Attorneys arguing that just because texts were sent from Joe's phone doesn't mean Joe sent them; overruled
1/24 9 p.m. to 9 am 1/25:  Jane's phone near where she was found; received 91 calls; no outgoing; only 4 made by BB home phone; 2 by BB cell phone (far less than he claimed)

Rachel's phone
1026 calls between BB (didn't catch time period)
1/31 - 6/19 - only 12
1/24 9 pm:  2 outgoing BB to Rachel
9:24, 9:27 pm

Oregon
541 area code
288 calls Nov. 28 - 1/31/12
2/2/12 - 2/17:  23 calls
48 calls between BB home /Oregon

text msgs with Oregon
1/19:  3 incoming to BB
8:45 a.m. good morning sir; in living room with my son
2:30:  hi sir
9:56 pm:  home sir

1/20:
8:29 incoming:  good morning sir
8:31 I'm fine sir

outgoing to 541:
12:03:  kneel and know you are mine
12:24  you can but feel my whip

1/21/12
9:24 incoming:  good morning sir

1/23 incoming 8:39:  good morning sir

9:44:  I'm home, sir

1/24:  more of the same

Sept 7 - Dec. 16
34 calls BB / Tibaudo
12 initiated by BB

June 18 - 25 (solicitation)
30 calls;  27 initiated by BB

Paul Monroe (who's he?)
123 calls; BB initiated 65; Paul 58 (missed dates)

Nancy's phone/Paul
Apr. 27 12 july 29, 12  monroe's home/cell
28 calls to John Gifford (PI):  14 by each

monroe's phone was located near his home
6/20/13:  BB phone hitting off that sector

tower frequency analysis

home sector was tower 994, sector 1
Jane:  Home sector same
body discovery site:  
Joe's phone in body discovery site:  previous to 1/24
Robert Fick had previous activity in body discovery sector

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness #9:  Rebecca Foitone (sp?) Law Enforcement (also has rental property in Grosse Point; 2426 Wayburn duplex since 91)

• upper flat was vacant in fall 2011
  • reached out to BB to help find tenant
  • BB introduced her to Joe Gentz on Oct. 8, 2011
  • BB described Joe:  previous residence for 9 years; single dad; trying to get custody of daughter; neat and clean; known for a long time; handy
  • witness asked Gentz why he was leaving previous apartment, but BB answered
  • income on rental app was only $1000/mo.; rental was $750
  • BB got agitated; raised his voice; personally vouched for him
  • she expressed concern; Gentz said getting also $1200/mo from disability
  • worked in pyschiatric field before LE; realized Gentz had diminished IQ/disability based on speech, lack of eye contact; not afraid of him at all
  • BB seems very much in control of situation; Gentz; money
  • rented upper flat to Gentz

• met BB and Joe there later
  • BB typed up standard lease; exchange keys/deposit
  • BB had receipt book with carbons; cash; BB gave her $1000 in $100 bills
  • BB produced receipt
  • gave keys to Gentz
  • prorated for partial month of Oct.

• next contact with Joe/BB only by phone
  • BB (Nov) called; not received payment for finding of tenant; she said she had not received a bill
  • BB (Dec?) called; not received payment; still no bill
  • Joe (Dec); hadn't received rent; he said he was going to come into some money; SSI had stopped; expected check for $5K; $3K expected tax return
  • Feb. 8, 2012:  BB called her; she saw breaking news about BB being served with search warrant; police were following him when he called her
  • he needed to change utilities out of his name
  • She had told Gentz he needed to change utilities out of her name
    she was puzzled why utilities were in BB's name
  • BB wanted her to change gas from his name to her name ASAP
  • BB said elec. had been turned off Jan. 12; she was suspicious
  • She said no way would she do that
  • He became very agitated
  • he had utilities in his name since Oct.
  • BB called again on Feb. 21; same conversation; called from diff. #; told him never to call again; he became agitated again; "I just lost my wife"

• Spoke to Mr. Vallante (Bob's attorney)

• Defense has no questions for this witness

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness #10:   (missed his name); works at liquor store

• Joe came in to his store and asked him to cash a check
  • Check deposited
  • Check bounced
  • Check from Bob's company?  (Sorry; missed some of this)

Witness 11:  Steven Tibaudo;  furniture/applicance store owner; sold applicances and made deliveries to Bashara properties

• Fall, 2011:  got a call from a friend, Roy Lawson (have similar dogs)
  • Roy had a problem; needed Steve's help
  • Roy showed up with Joe Gentz; Joe's the one with the problem
  • timeframe:  Sept/Oct, 2011
  • made plans to go look at issues with Joe's furniture (Bob owned the building; Joe was being evicted)
  • Witness called Bob to find out if he owned the building; asked for accommodation for Joe
  • Bob said he didn't own that building
  • Suggested Bob move Joe to one of his buildings; Bob was receptive to idea
  • Joe stopped in to say thanks for connecting him with Bob
  • Went to apartment on Jefferson to help him move furniture

• Before all this (August?), Bob wanted to talk to Steve in private
  • Took Steve outside
  • Bob had tenant that was "making my life hell"
  • wanted him run over or T-boned
  • "I got two cop buddies that can take care of that for you"
  • Bob called him (Nov 2011) and asked him if he could get insulin because elderly tenant needed insulin that was thrown away in a broken fridge

• Went to the Hard Luck the Friday after the murder and found out Jane was murdered; heard Joe was a suspect

• June 2012  Bob came to his store looking for him; Bob left msgs for Steve
  • Police had told Steve to notify them if Bob approached him again
  • 2nd/3rd week in June, Steve called him back after contacting police
  • Bob said refridgerators Steve had sold wasn't working; Bob was holding payment
  • Steve brought Bob another refridge; took the one away (but Steve said it didn't belong to him)
  • Steve was wired by police
  • Bob said he was having problems with Gentz at competancy hearing and asked if he could have something done to Gentz
  • Steve said yes, he could help
  • Bob stopped by store a day or two later; Steve had different recording device
  • Bob asked Steve if Joe could be "taken out"; Steve said yes, if the price was right
  • Bob asked if Steve was wearing a wire; padded Steve down twice
  • Steve said he wasn't wearing a wire (against his religion because he's Sicilian...lol)
  • Steve said he needed $20K
  • Steve showed Bob he wasn't wearing wire; he had a remote recording device in his pocket
  • Bob gave Steve $2K in $100 bills
  • Steve wrote receipt; $2K down, $18K due
  • Bob refused to sign it
  • Wrote another receipt for $2K for broken refridgerator; Bob signed
  • Pictures of Bob and Steve talking, Bob's vehicle
  • Bob said if they find Joe G. competant to stand trial, it was all over for him
  • "If you're wearing a wire, just shoot me now"
  • They played the recordings, but they were hard to hear
  • Bob paid Steve $2K
  • Steve had put Det.'s phone number in his cell phone
  • Bob wanted to know who Steve was on phone with (he was calling Det)
  • Bob looked through Steve's phone; Bob went nuts when he saw Det.'s number; Steve made excuses
  • Bob came back again and started looking through other phone (work phone?)
  • Bob was arrested that evening
  • In Oct. 2012, Steve learned that Bob had plead guilty to solicitation for murder

Defense had no questions for this witness (oops, they showed his face!)

Witness 12:  Paul Munroe; tenant of Bashara 2007 for about 4 years (actually stayed with April, his girlfriend; her name was on the lease)

• Told Bob he had been involved in criminal activity in the past
  • He and Bob formed friendship
  • Accompanied Bob to purchase cocaine!
  • Bob had him calling in false tips!
  • Bob took witness down to Griem's office (Bob wanted him to sign statement about false tips; he didn't sign)
  • Bob offered him money to make false tips
  • Bob called witness in June? to meet at a gas station to purchase cocaine
  • Bob patted witness down to see if he was wearing a wire
  • Witness got cocaine; Bob ingested it in front of witness!
  • Bob began to cry; told witness he had Joe kill his wife!
  • Bob said going through divorce was like losing money; "I could lose a lot; can't lose anything"
  • Bob said he didn't want to do it, but he couldn't lose money in a divorce
  • Bob asked witness to give some documentation to police; affidavit that two other people were involved in the murder:  April Montgomery (witness' ex girlfriend; she owed him money) (didn't catch name of other person); witness wouldn't sign
  • Police found this witness; he didn't want to get involved, so wasn't talking
  • Was confronted with phone records; came clean then

Cross-exam:

• questioning about cocaine
  • Munroe purchased cocaine; gave it to Bob (didn't sell it to Bob)
  • Happened more than once
  • Another guy started dating Mr. Munroe's girlfriend after Munroe had moved out
  • First time he gave Bob cocaine was in April/May 2012 (one time Bob asked for it; another time, witness offered it to Bob)
  • Witness gave Bob 50 grams!
  • 2nd time, gave Bob less (doesn't know how much)
  • Someone gave witness the coke as a favor
  • Witness knew he was committing a felony, but wasn't concerned about it
  • Witness did not use the coke; just gave it to Bob
  • Witness convicted of a felony longer ago than 10 years ago (so can't be questioned about it)
  • Cocaine was in a ziplock bag; Bob used finger to snort it
  • Witness spent about an hour sitting with Bob in Bob's car
  • Witness looking through 11/19/12, 11/15/12 statements he gave to police
  • Signed as accurate at that time
  • Another statement was given July 10, 2013
  • Did witness recall being asked whether Bob made a confession to you?  Yes.
  • Bob confessed in April/May, 2012
  • Bob offered him $2K; only paid him $89 (for making false statements)

Re-cross:
Doesn't recall when he got the $89; upset he never got the rest of the money

Re-direct:

• Verifying phone contacts with Bob on 6/20; phone records don't lie; so timeframe of confession was really June
  • He was promised $2K by Bob for make a statement to police
  • He received $89 from Bob; to make tickets? go away; would get $2K if he made statement to police accusing April
  • Witness saw Bob buy cocaine from more than one other person; paid transactions
  • Bob called him 65 times
  • Bob was having his investigator calling this witness

Witness #13:  Joy Jolly (Seriously?)  Knows Bob since 2000; used to live in same area

• Met Bob and Jane at some club (Lackmore?); children similar ages
  • Last saw Jane in Sept. 2010 at Michigan game
  • Was selling her parent's home in Grosse Point Shores
  • Was there during a showing of the house
  • She saw Bob there with a realtor and another woman (not Jane)
  • Later saw Rachel Gilette on TV after Jane was murdered realized that's who was with Bob that day
  • Bob said he was helping a friend that needed to find a house
  • Called Bob next morning; left message (missed why; something about something Bob had said)
  • Bob showed up at her house that day, alone
  • Bob offered help moving
  • She asked him who the woman was; just a friend
  • Jim Wilson is her ex-husband; Jan. 25, 2012; received text from Jim re: murder of Jane
  • Talked to Jane about relationship with witness' sister
  • Jane told her she had a close sister but that they no longer spoke because Bob wasn't "clean"
  • Her ex was good friends with Bob (since 2000); went on social trips
  • Ex now lives in FL (moved in 2009)

Witness #14:  Robert Fick; worked for Bob as maintenance guy; worked at Bob's apartment building; still lives there; became maintenance guy there

• Also worked at other rental properties as well as Middlesex home (about 4 times there)
  • Worked on Carpet, painting, plumbing, jack of all trades
  • Ralph Lee was buddy who also did maintenance for Bob
  • Primary source of income was this maintenance work; Bob paid him; didn't barter for rent
  • He saw news that Jane was murdered
  • Next spoke to Bob the next day after he found out; went to Bob's to do work at his house about a month later; they spoke daily
  • Bob told witness to not mention Rachel Gilette to police
  • He lied to police; was afraid Bob was going to evict him or fire him
  • Bob wanted to evict another tenant for having a big mouth, but that person moved out on their own
  • Bob asked to use witness' phone; Bob went for walk; witness looked at phone; # Bob called was erased
  • Fick called Bob to say Cadillac was being confiscated
  • Bob asked Mr. Fick if he knew any tenants who were talking to police
  • He said Bob never talked to him about Gentz

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Trial videos from Sept. 10:

Bob Bashara Trial. Preliminary Hearing. Day 2. Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th9zld1nJ8U

Bob Bashara Trial. Preliminary Hearing. Day 2. Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ALW4K5amW4

Bob Bashara Trial. Preliminary Hearing. Sept 10. Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtB8y0kknRc

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Bob Bashara Preliminary Exam - Day 3

Witness # 14:   Mr Fick, continued

• he told Bob that he was going to give a statement, even though the subpoena was confidential
  • Bob paid him the money owed when Fick said he'd testify
  • May 9, when testified, he lied because Bob asked him to lie; he was afraid of Bob
  • June 20 testimony; told the truth about Bob asking him to lie about Rachel

Cross:
did Bob later tell you to tell the truth - yes

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness # 15:  Steven Virgona; met Joe Gentz back in high school (29 years ago); reconnected with Joe in 2008/9; became friends

• Fall 2011 near Oct:  friend of Gentz
  • aware he was trying to get a new apartment; went with Joe to rent
  • had not met Bob before then
  • After Joe rented apt., witness went back to apt. with Joe
  • Discussion occurred about utilities between Joe and Bob; witness was there
  • Late Oct, early Nov:  Joe and witness had a conversation
  • Joe asked if witness wanted to make money $2K - $5K- doing a hit and run; asked him again
  • witness said no way
  • Sometime later, phone conv. with Joe; Joe said Bob wanted a hit-and-run on his wife for $5K
  • witness said he wanted nothing to do with it
  • Next day, witness called Joe; Joe said he was just joking; don't worry about it
  • End of Oct/early Nov; Joe wanted to get insulin for Bob; then dropped the subject
  • Joe also at one time brought up carjacking

Cross:

• attorney trying to impeach his testimony
  • witness provided two written statements
  • Gave Feb. 13, 2012 statement
  • lived with Joe for 3-4 months in 2010 or 2011
  • found Joe to be excitable guy? - objection relevance; sustained
  • was there of his own free will to make statement; was trying to tell them everything he knew
  • Joe told him that hit-and-run target worked downtown (didn't know it was Jane); what time they got off; guy named Bob wanted to have this done to Jane
  • Attorney is asking if he put those details into his statement; no, he didn't; only answered the questions asked; didn't volunteer more; didn't mention Jane, work location or hours, insulin, etc.; was trying to help his friend
  • Added details during police report

Re-direct
clarification on testimony; told about insulin later

Re-cross

• focus at the time was who murdered Jane; yes; was trying to cooperate
  • told about hit-and-run, but they didn't write it down
  • no other details in statement

Discussion on submitting statements to show conspiracy; defense objects; overruled; admitted

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness 16:  Jessica Bashara, Bob and Jane's daughter

• Bob told her Bob and Jane were in counseling (fall 2010); things not going well in marriage
  • Bob said Jane was very critical of him
  • She caught him using alt.com and viewing porn multiple times; source of friction in family
  • Upset her and Jane; Bob said he had stopped using website; Jane found out he was still using it
  • She found text msgs on his phone (get on your knees...)
  • Jane confronted Bob; Bob deleted msgs but said they never existed; lied to her face
  • Discussing financial situation
  • Jan. 24, 2012  4:10 pm she was talking to Jane who was driving home (23 mins.)
  • Jane said on her way home; driving down Jefferson; discussing plans; Jane was almost home; Jane said she'd call witness later so she could write something down (she was driving)
  • Bob called her later because Jane hadn't come home yet; found it odd that he was concerned
  • Jan. 25 - Bob told her Jane never came home that night; witness started calling hotels to see if she had checked into one; thought Jane might have needed space from Bob
  • Bob told her to skip class; later Bob called to say Jane was dead
  • never heard Joe's name before the murder; never saw him doing work at Middlesex house
  • Bob told multiple stories; random carjacking story came out before affairs surfaced
  • When affair came out, Bob changed story to Joe: allowed Joe to do work at rental props, Joe thought he was owed money and came to house and got into dispute with Jane, hence murder
  • Bob said Joe was threatening him (needed money)
  • Bob said he was at rental properties when the murder occurred
  • Weeks later (after affair surfaced and after he was named POI) he said he stopped by the house to get keys
  • Bob always carried big ring of keys out of habit

• Bob gave press conference; his story about having an affair changed over time
  • Denied at first; admitted later yes, with a woman named Rachel, but it wasn't sexual
  • She saw card with Bob's handwriting with sexual references; confronted Bob
  • Bob still denied sex because he wasn't physically capable; but other ways to have it, even though he denied it
  • Discussing Jane's ring, which went missing; witness used to borrow Jane's jewelry, so she didn't mention it's missing because she was afraid she had lost it
  • Bob said he put the ring in a drawer for a year; he gave it to Rachel; Rachel wanted to return it to witness; but Bob never gave it back to daughter
  • Jane had wedding ring with one large stone (between 2 and 3 carets; other diamonds that added up to 5 carets; worth $7K)
  • She knew ring was missing before murder; Jane knew it was missing; Bob "found" it after murder under dresser)
  • Bob said he hired PIs; he was hoping they would find info to find murderer; Bob said they found credible leads, POIs
  • Found out Rachel had filed PPO against Bob
  • Before affair came out, Bob never mentioned that Joe had come to the house

Cross:  No questions

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness 17:  William Schatz; lived in one of Bob's rentals

• first lived upstairs; moved downstairs because wife was diabetic and couldn't do stairs
  • contacted Bob and explained reason (wife diabetic); Bob charged him for the move (couple hundred more); witness paid by doing jobs around the complex; paid it off that way
  • noticed yellowish Cadillac in lot owned by Bob; Bob had asked if he knew anyone that wanted to buy it for $4K
  • Nov. 2011, Bob came over and asked for diabetic needles and insulin for his mom; witness' wife uses pills, not insulin or needles
  • new tenant arrived in early 2012; witness talked to her
  • Bob came to witness to shut his mouth or he would evict him
  • Knew Bob to have a hot temper
  • About a week after Jane died, witness offered condolences; Bob said he didn't kill her; had nothing to do with it
  • Bob invited witness to a BBQ; met Rachel; witness wondered why Bob was with another woman when he was married
  • Witness composed letter with Stephanie (asked by Bob)
  • Was told to say what Bob wanted him to say, he said he'd evict witness
  • He signed the letter
  • Objection to relevance of letter; goes to witness intimidation; overruled
  • Had discussion with Bob in laundry room; then Tommy (lived upstairs) came in; closed door
  • Tommy said to back off Bob; he had nothing to do with it; leave Bob alone
  • Bob agreed with what Tommy said
  • Tommy said quit talking to police, detectives
  • Witness was scared of both of them - petrified
  • Lawyer gave witness picture of Tommy, witness said OMG! Yes, that's him

No cross questions

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness 18:  Gregory Barraco; knows Joe for a long time

• hung out with Joe and Steve Virgona
  • Between Nov. and Christmas 2011; Joe asked if this witness would help him hurt someone in Grosse Point; Joe said he was being paid $5K; wanted to hit her with a big car
  • He mentioned it was Bob that wanted to hurt this person
  • witness said he didn't want to hear this; wanted nothing to do with it
  • Joe asked him three times on separate occasions; same response each time; no
  • never heard Bob's last name
  • End of Jan. 2012, witness was asked to pick up Joe from McDonalds (around 10:30 p.m.) (Joe called 5-6 times)
  • Joe sounded nervous; was in a hurry to be picked up
  • witness had been to McDonalds earlier with a friend and they had left witness' car there
  • went back to McDonalds
  • Joe was pacing and smoking nervously; he was upset; talking on phone; he said on phone that he was going away for about 20 years; Joe had a fresh scratch on his face
  • Friend gave Joe the ride he needed; witness left

Cross:

• showed witness statement he had made; first page not his signature, but the rest of the pages do have his signature
  • Feb 28, 2012 statement given; Joe was already under arrest
  • considered himself Joe's friend
  • nothing significant discussed during this cross

Witness #19:  Laurie Callaway;employed at St. Vincent de Paul

• Jan. 26th someone came in and gave her an envelope for Joe for some painting work he had done, who was volunteering/working there
  • Pointed out Bob as that person
  • Witness gave Joe that envelope; never looked inside

No cross questions

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness #20:  Rachel Gillette; Bob's former mistress

• Knew him as "Master Bob"
  • She was known as Bella (on alt.com)
  • Knows person known as obedient slave; and Sir Patrick (Patrick Web)
  • First met Bob Aug. 2008; met online on alt.com
  • alt.com = Alternative Lifestyle; BDSM
  • talked on phone and emailed before dating
  • went to Bob's sex dungeon
  • relationship turned intimate
  • Bob suffered from erectile dysfunction; still intimate through other means
  • Engaged in breath play; choking with hands around throat

COURTHOUSE LOST POWER: Judge King said when they resume, they will go back over her testimony to refresh everyone's memory

TO BE CONTINUED...

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Preliminary Hearing, Day 3 Videos

Bob Bashara Trial. Preliminary Hearing. Sept 10. Bob Bashara's Daughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP06iMbr1mw

Bob Bashara Trial. Preliminary Hearing. Sept 11. Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_KSXS9aCoc

Bob Bashara Trial Preliminary Hearing Sept 11 Part 3 Court done for the day. Power Outage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcrFGyMTz0

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Bashara Preliminary Exam - Day 4

Witness #20:  Rachel Gillett; Bob's former mistress; continued

• Entered a master/slave relationship
  • one partner is more dominant/one more submissive
  • Bob is extremely dominant
  • She's very passive, so submissive
  • She referred to Bob as Master in writing, not in person
  • Used uppercase to refer to Master, lowercase for her; in blogs and online
  • Bob said he was a widower
  • She suspected he wasn't being truthful; confronted him; said he wasn't widower, but that they were separated
  • Before suspicion, he told her his wife had been deceased for a few years; raising his teenage daughter by himself, son in college
  • After confrontation, said separated for a couple of years but didn't post that; widower would get more women
  • Then said they both lived in the same house; no sex for years; did nothing together; led separate lives; stayed together for kids
  • Told her he was living in the guest room (sep. bedrooms)
  • She described to a friend that Bob described feelings of emasculation (he didn't use that word)

• Aug 2009 moved to property owned by Bob on Mack Ave.; apt over dungeon
  • Saw Bob in dungeon about 2x/week
  • Jan. 1 2009, she sent him an email saying she wanted to break things off; "you were wrong to lie to me; sad to know you would do it again; I'm not the other woman type; all a fantasy; holidays helped to wake me up; has to end here
  • Bob responded with "slave r, no, no, no; you are so wrong; damn it, I love you. We are perfect for each other...I will not let you go.  I want you, period..."
  • Bob thought someone named Mike was telling her to get out of the relationship; contacted Mike to say leave Rachel alone (Bob's shaking his head)
  • She decided to stay in relationship, but not because of this email
  • Bob had a timeline/plan; when Jessica graduated HS they would divorce
  • Bob and Rachel went to Reformatory to participate in BDSM activities; met Patrick
  • 2010; received a ring; Bob said it was his great-aunt's that he inherited; indicated it was a promise ring
  • He tried to put it on her left ring finger; she wouldn't let him do that until he was free (Rachel crying while looking at pix of ring)
  • He gave her a necklace; said made from studs of father's tuxedo; had made into necklace for her
  • Aug 2010 moved from Bob's apt. to another one on St. Claire St.
  • Early summer 2010; Bob needed to sell property on Catchu (sp?); one of rental properties; co-owned with Jane; story changed to sell, but put into a short sale; property got transferred to Rachel; Bob mother loaned him the money; he didn't tell Jane he transferred the property to Rachel
  • June 17, 2010, Rachel sent another email to break off the relationship; partly because he's still married; partly because she's so excluded
  • Bob had a key to her apt; would show up late at night and cry and beg; would show up at her work and bring flowers; called her children!
  • Bob called her kids because he wanted them to know he was in love with Rachel
  • Bob would sit outside her house in lawn chair, blocking her door, crying; talking very loud
  • Bob:  "we cannot let it go"; ready to make a life-changing event for us!  I will not release you; I am your man, you are my woman"
  • Rachel assumed "event" was divorce
  • Rachel was concerned about having a life with Bob due to financial issues (he spent a lot of money; living beyond his means; trouble with creditors for rentals (watch Bob's fingers on video; looks like he's giving her the finger))
  • Rachel had found other communications between Bob with other women; upset because he's married, and now cheating on her with other women; sent email to break up
  • Oct. 11, 2010:  sent Bob email:  finances concern (loss of Jane's income if divorced would adversely affect his lifestyle)
  • Bob responds:  has been accustomed to the best in life; mom is most generous; I'd rather be poor and happy; I am your Master; regarding loss of Jane's income - "oh well"
  • Rachel didn't want to be a part of his divorce; wanted him to work that out without her in his life
  • Bob responded:  You must fully trust me; I cannot cease to be with you...I am the Master, and if you are my slave, you must obey me...kneel before me...you are my love and I want you always"
  • Bob had significant contact with Rachel's friends and family
  • 2008 - Bob met her daughter; 2009 Bob went to her niece's wedding; several work functions, her boss' house for parties; introduced himself as her boyfriend; came to her work very often; talked to all her co-workers; Dec. 2011 Bob went to her daughter's wedding in SCarolina
  • 2010 - promised to spend New Year's Eve with her; she was going to SC to see daughter; he flew down there to be with her
  • 2011 - Both gone for 10-11 days for her daughter's wedding
  • 2011 Rachel unhappy that he's still married; emailed him in March saying so
  • Bob responds:  My slave, ...my situation is secondary to what we have, and yet ending soon...I want you for the rest of my life...soon, my slave, soon...
  • In Mar, 2011, she had told Bob she wanted him to get divorced soon
  • Summer 2011, Bob tells her that divorce was final in May!!! after she tried to break up with him again
  • Rachel didn't ask for proof at that time
  • June 3, 2011 IM Chat:  Now that I'm divorced...she says he lied to her and his wife, but she still believed him
  • Bob made decision to go house-hunting with her; enticement for her to stay in relationship
  • Casual driving around looking at for sale signs
  • Fall 2011 got a real estate agent
  • Every time she tried to break up, he sent her long romantic emails
  • July 2011 Bob sent email:  something to share with you...we've been together for almost 3 years...Sept I will be ready to move out...(wanted her to leave her job and do marketing for his United business)...(plans to sell house on Middlesex)...you would serve me as my submissive, my slave...
  • Bob used to say that Rachel was the one pushing for a life together, but it was him
  • They had talked on and off about a "poly" - 3 or more people in a relationship (had talked about another woman or another man); Rachel thought that would stop him from cheating
  • Promised he would stop cheating if there was a poly
  • Why would you want to stay with him?  I can't answer that; she loved him that much
  • Bob's July email:  feel badly the timeline has not been sooner; will now stop the lying...
  • He painted a good picture of his vision for them; continued house hunt
  • July 16, Bob sent email because she wouldn't meet with him after last email:  set up acct on alt to find her...you are mine...the wait is over...I love you...I only want you, period, no one else...have always put you first...you're a wonderful slave girl to me...I ask you for one more chance...I truly love you...
  • Rachel decided to stay and go house-hunting
  • Found house; made offer; had inspection, but dropped it due to issues
  • Found house at 1011 Kensington; closing date changed several times (early Dec, then late Dec. then early Jan, final date was Jan. 27, 2012!!! (3 days after murder!)
  • Rachel asked to see his divorce papers; Bob said he couldn't find them; might have to get copy from lawyer; next time she asked, lawyer was on vacation; asked why not get Jane's copy; he never responded
  • 3 years, 3 months, 3 weeks together; 15-20 contacts a day; helped him work on his properties
  • Knew about Ralph Lee, Bob Fick (ponytail Bob), Tommy the plumber used for maintenance work; before the murder, Rachel never heard the name Joe Gentz
  • weekend of Jan. 20th before murder:  went to BDSM event with Bob; also went to paint store for samples for their house on Kensington; Rachel became concerned:  story for financing the house changed a couple of times (sell Middlesex and use his half; then decided to borrow full amt from his mother).  She demanded to see divorce papers; said she wouldn't move and change her life without proof.
  • On Jan. 20, 2012, she emailed Bob about not being able to trust him and his lies; demanded proof of divorce; cannot take your word for it anymore
  • Rachel found out he lied about never having been to Hawaii
  • She doesn't think he ever responded to that email
  • Jan. 24, 2012:  she went to work (he called her every morning, including that one); Bob came down there for lunch; called her several times that day
  • Back up:  they had been emailing woman from alt for a poly relationship (Janet from Oregon); in Jan, when they returned from daughter's wedding, Bob went to Oregon to meet her
  • Back to 24th:  talked to him several times in afternoon; Bob indicates later that his wife is missing
  • Jan. 25, before Jane's body had been found; Bob called her at 1 a.m.; very distraught that Jane was missing; he was concerned about being blamed for her disappearance; he gave her specific instructions to contact Janet (slave J) and tell her not to text or call him, wanted to keep his phone records "clean", which she did
  • She said:  "Just because you're having an affair doesn't make you a murderer" - this was before Jane's body had been found!  Told him that more than once
  • Bob called her at work around 8:30; Jane still missing; didn't know what had happened
  • After Jane's body was found, he asked Rachel to come to his house; she declined as inappropriate
  • Bob called throughout the day; at some point he started using his mother's cell
  • Asked her to go to candlelight vigil; she went; hugged Bob there
  • At one time, Rachel had Bob's silver pickup truck (July/Aug 2011 through March 2012)
  • Bob said someone would come to borrow truck and to leave keys under mat
  • Rachel first heard about Joe Gentz around Jan. 30 when it hit the news (hadn't heard about Joe from Bob)
  • Rachel went to police on Jan. 28th; gave verbal statement; wrote statement on 30th as follow-up; never mentioned poly in OR
  • Went back on Feb. 6 and gave more statements; just mentions Bob went to Oregon (no mention of Janet)
  • Received multiple greeting cards from Bob
  • Told Bob on several occasions that she didn't want him to contact her again
  • Around March 14th, she got a PPO against him (she warned him in advance she'd get one if he didn't leave her alone)
  • Kept asking her to meet him
  • Power  and her landline was supposed to be turned on in Kensington house the Monday after closing (week after Jane was murdered?)

End of Direct - Phew!!!

Court in recess for lunch until 1:30

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness 20:  Rachel Gillett; Bob's former mistress; continued

Judge:  appears to be some sort of non-verbal communication between defendant and witness; that will not be tolerated!

Cross-exam:

• BDSM lifestyle - her choice
  • Oct. 2008 suspected he was not a widow
  • realized she was being strung along by Bob
  • Jessica was supposed to graduate in 2010; that's when she expected divorce
  • only met kids once when they passed in a restaurant; Bob introduced her as a tenant (true, but she was also his girlfriend)
  • also met his mother at a charity event; same intro
  • she was aware he was hiding his relationship with her
  • she believed when he said he had already been divorced
  • Attorney is pointing out how she kept staying in the relationship; even after threatening to end it if he didn't prove divorce, they still went to look for paint
  • none of conversations on the 24th were secretive in nature
  • After the 24th, Bob did talk about some crazy guy, but didn't mention Joe's name
  • She voluntarily went to the police on Jan. 28th
  • She gave the police the papers on the house on the 28th

Redirect:
  • her lawyer did not twist her arm to get a PPO; she wanted it

Witness 21:  Melinda Jackson, Michigan State Police

feed froze; missed beginning

• Processes crime scenes as well as evidence
  • Media was already present when she arrived at crime scene
  • focused on garage; also collected hair brush for known DNA sample from a bathroom
  • She didn't collect anything else for DNA
  • No car in garage
  • She drew a sketch at a later date, to scale
  • Going through sketch of garage, and pictures of evidence locations
  • Two blood stains observable by the naked eye; inside of garage door; tested positive
  • A third spot was found; applied Luminol; possibly blood
  • Collected samples; sent to lab for analysis
  • Processed some fingernail clippings she received from victim; one nail from left hand clipping that had reddish brown coloring; shows blood
  • Processed a pair of boots; didn't detect presence of blood; checked for celular material and swabbed inside to identify who was wearing the boots

No cross questions.

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness 22:   Andrea Young:  Michigan State Police; Expert in forensic biology

• processes crime scenes, DNA evidence
  • explaining DNA processing; looks at 16 different locations on the DNA
  • Had known samples from Jane, Bob, Joe
  • Compared those to evidence
  • Blood from garage floor:  3 donors:  major is Jane; Bob can't be excluded; Joe is excluded!
  • can do a process YSTR testing; only looks at male DNA
  • results of fingernail clipping (right hand); no foreign DNA
  • results of fingernail clipping (left):  mixture:  Jane and Joe
  • Blood from clipped nails:  Jane cannot be excluded; Joe cannot be excluded
  • Boots:  at least 3 donors; major is Joe; Jane and Bob excluded
  • Boot swabs:  3 donors; major is Joe; Bob could be one of the contributors
  • missed last item

No cross questions

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness 23:  Janet  Leehmann (Slave J from Oregon)

• met on alt.com
  • met as Master Bob (MB's Bella); Bella later ID'ed as Rachel
  • looking for two women to share house with him in the future
  • Bob asked her to change her screen name (thinks it was to MasterSlaveforYou)
  • Bob sent email to other men to say she was his and off limits
  • Said Bob said he had been divorced for years
  • Said lawyers told him to stay in house
  • Said he and Rachel had been together for 4 years
  • Said it had been 7 years since he had had sex with his wife; stopped because he ejaculated in her mouth and she hated it and they stopped having sex because of that
  • Bob told her he felt emasculated by Jane
  • Bob referred to Jane as "her" or "the ex-wife"; never used her name
  • Dec - Bob sent her Olive Garden gift card; dirty T-shirt with his scent; he wanted her to sleep in it so she could feel him; chain for wrist indicating he owned her; two letters
  • leather strap to wear around wrist; not to wear it on neck until he placed it there; my slave
  • another letter describing T-shirt; you're mine; I remain Master Bob; your master and man
  • Bob plans trip to see her; supposed to be Jan. 18-19; first week of Jan. she was getting cold feet; he had family obligations (sister flying in); couldn't be there that week
  • subject of breath play came up; auto-erotic asphyxiation (sp?); choking; Bob does this to Rachel every night when he tucks her in
  • Dec. 1, 2011:  I can choke Rachel enough to make her woozy; you will be like a kid in a candy shop
  • Defense objecting to breath play testimony; no evidence Bob was present when Jane was strangled; objection overruled
  • Bob told her he was buying a house on Kensington; Rachel would be living there, and possibly this witness; May 2012 was planned date for move
  • She questioned how he'd live with more than 1 woman; he had been living a fake life; wanted to be true to himself and live his real lifestyle
  • email indicating they would each have their time with him, all together and separately
  • Bob told her that he told his family that it would be their last holiday with him, and that he was moving on
  • Jessica was very upset; wife wasn't happy
  • Bob went to Oregon Jan. 10-11
  • Bob IM'ed before trip "soon you will feel my strength and passion"
  • Bob and she were intimate; not normal sex; "it doesn't work"; after the fact, he said it had to do with his weight
  • Engaged in breath play without discussing with her; he came up behind her; she did not consent, she passed out cold!
  • Went to lunch, disappeared for 20 minutes; he talked to Rachel
  • While she was making breakfast, he called someone and said I want this done, done this weekend, done before I get home; what the f**k is wrong with you; she asked who he talked to; he said handyman; yelling and angry
  • Did not plan to see him again after he left
  • He left a collar (leather); left T-shirt, and a pair of underwear on the floor
  • He continued to call; Jan. 18; did she know anyone who would rough someone up for money; handyman was trying to extort money from him
  • Rachel was about to get fired; Bob was so mad at her boss that he wanted someone to beat the boss up
  • Jan 25 - Bob called from an unknown #; Family emergency here; stop all communication
  • Rachel contacted her; said Jane was missing; something bad happened; don't contact him
  • Jan 26 - Bob called J; said guess you heard about my wife; he and the kids are fine; if anyone calls, say we're just friends (asked her to lie for him)
  • Never heard about Joe before murder
  • After she heard about Joe in media, Bob said Joe was trying to extort money and thought Joe killed Jane (he called from mom's # so police couldn't track his calls)
  • He called J agitated and told her to buy Rachel a plane ticket and hide her at cattle ranch in the middle of nowhere; "hide from the courts; are you with me on this?"
  • He said "they are going to turn state's evidence against him"
  • She declined
  • After murder, the three of them (J, Rachel and Bob) were going to go on with their plan
  • She asked him to stop contacting her
  • He continued to do so; she got a lawyer to contact him to stop

Cross:
  • she wrote a timeline for police (after Feb. 6)
  • Then she was brought there and deposed
  • Feb. 19th 2012 was when she asked him to stop contacting her
  • re: overheard phone call with getting the job done; Jan. 18/19 he said he was being harassed by handyman
  • She said lawyer was confusing her; lawyer said he was confused, too; witness said "no, you're not"; judge admonished her
  • why would Bob call you in Oregon to ask if you know someone who could rough up his handyman?  "That's what I thought!", she said
  • Bob was there Thursday to Sunday

Re-direct:
  • Correct dates for visit:  Jan. 12 - 15
  • When she heard him yell at handyman, she was present (he was in Oregon)
  • convo about roughing someone up was phone call about a week later
  • she suggested he go to police about harassment; he said he didn't; that she needed to stay out of it

Witness 24:  Mary Morey (worked at Eastern Market Antiques)

• Met Joe in Fall 2011; met at thrift shop; hired him as laborer at her furniture store (he worked for her part-time from Sept. 2011 - Jan. 2012); she picked him up every day to give ride
  • Jan. 25, she picked him up to take him to work, and she saw a large sum of money in his hand; he was showing it off; about $800-900
  • had told her he was expecting some money (that day and the day after)
  • Jan. 25 they stopped at a cell phone store so Joe could buy a phone; he bought one
  • He used to have flip phone; this was Blackberry or Android
  • Joe said he was waiting for a package and was told it had arrived

No cross

Witness 25:  Patrick Donald Webb (BDSM community)

• Knows Bob; met in 2009 thru Rachel; PW was advertising party; online invite
  • Bob attended with Rachel (first time he met her)
  • Party was at frat house in Michigan (first BDSM party PW had)
  • Bob attended BDSM events with Rachel; at least 5-6 parties
  • Knew Bob as Master Bob; he was referred to as Sir Patrick; Rachel was known as Rachel at party or little princess
  • Frat house burned down; looked for other locations; talked to Bob about possible locations
  • PW lived on 12 acres; Bob suggested putting club in outbuilding on PW's property
  • Bob offered to pay $20-30K for concrete; PW would pay for the rest; defense objects; relevance; overruled
  • When money was due, Bob said he was having trouble at home and couldn't pay PW
  • Bob attended parties there with Rachel, and other women (Rose?)
  • Bob was concerned about confidentiality (meaning from his wife); talked about him going through a divorce and that he was separated
  • PW asked how he gets away from wife; he said she doesn't know what he does
  • He said it would be cheaper to get rid of her; PW thought it was a joke
  • Bob said one of his neighbors was in the Mafia
  • Bob was trying to help him save the house; said in Nov/Dec 2011, he'd be coming into some money in a couple of months
  • The Reformatory was the club PW built

No cross

Court in recess until Friday morning, 9 a.m.

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Bob Bashara Trial. Preliminary Hearing. Sept 12. Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZLjS_Ceu84

Bob Bashara Trial. Preliminary Hearing. Sept 12. Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOY1olDJsPs

Bob Bashara Trial. Preliminary Hearing. Sept 12. Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lrdAU0rv4

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Day 5

Witness 26:  Daryl Bradford; detained at jail as material witness

• Knows Paul Munroe for almost all his life
  • never met Jane; heard about murder
  • Paul asked him to call in "tip" that his girlfriend and ex-boyfriend had something to do with murder
  • Didn't ask why; just did it; used Paul's cell phone to call it in
  • Paul gave him the phone; doesn't know who was called
  • Said what he was told to say
  • was given $20

No Cross

CuriousPortlander

CuriousPortlander

Witness 27:  Ms. Venita Porter  (BDSM community)

• Knows Bob from BDSM
  • Became intimate with him
  • Bob said he was married; they were not getting along; didn't want same future; had an arrangement; planning a divorce after kids out of school
  • Attended social events; church, rotary, movies, dinners, volleyball games to see Jessica play...
  • "Lived" in the dungeon; helped set it up
  • dungeon divided into two rooms
  • large cross on the wall that Bob had made was made wrong
  • Bob engaged in breath play; spanking; impotence; hitting; got dizzy and unconscious during choking; she said she was uncomfortable; he'd back off for a while and then resume
  • she'd be on the edge of passing out
  • She'd met his mother, wife, kids, friends
  • Knew Bob's friend Jim (real estate contractor)
  • She'd see Bob and Jim together; Hard Luck; Jim seemed to have access to cocaine
  • Jim offered Bob cocaine; Bob only seemed to do coke when Jim was around; saw residue on Bob's nose
  • She previously testified Nov. 12, 2012; witness reviewing
  • Now she recalls talking to Bob about cocaine; she wasn't interested in using it
  • Relationship ended; asked Bob for night of fun (dinner, dancing); to meet at Dylan's; she had drink; said he was at Hard Luck; she went there; there was no one there
  • Called Bob; said he was downstairs; come down to dungeon
  • Found him with Rachel; had never seen her before
  • They were about to have sex; witness was livid; not the kind of evening she wanted
  • They blew her off and closed door; witness stayed and went crazy again she was so mad
  • She humiliated herself while begging him not to do that
  • He kicked her out; stole some of her stuff while she was cleaning out
  • She felt like she was having a heart attack
  • R told him not to be so mean
  • Kicked her out while she was packing
  • Only discussions later were because Bob owed her money
  • Few IMs
  • No contact until found out about Jane's death; called Bob for condolences
  • Saw more of Bob after Jane's death than before
  • He showed up at her house around Mar. 2012; heard her mailbox being opened; Bob walked in door without knocking with her mail
  • Bended to Bob; didn't want to make him mad; gave condolence
  • Smiled and wanted to get him out; called prosecutor right after he left
  • He said he knew people (veiled threat against her and her kids)
  • Said she was sorry about Jane
  • Bob said that Rachel wasn't standing by his side; turned on him
  • He asked her to go to Rotary wine tasting; she didn't understand why he was there
  • She didn't go
  • Talked to Bob about where he was when Jane was murdered; had been drinking at Hard Luck; said he was outside in back alley to pick up some trash (funny; never picked up a damn thing; Bob gets people to do things for him)
  • Struck her as odd
  • Story later changed; now saying he had to go back to the house to get some keys for 5-10 minutes
  • June 2012; Bob asked her to lunch
  • She felt more comfortable keeping things calm; went along with it; easier to listen to what he had to say
  • came over to some club; no seating; drove to Hines Park; large construction crew, so she felt safe there; sat at table
  • Bob told her that he really did love Rachel; R had turned on him; he couldn't reach her; she was saying things
  • Bob talked about Jessica; Lisa Lindsey (pros.) gave Jessica copy of card Bob had sent to Rachel; Jessica was upset
  • Went for a walk with Bob around the park
  • He pulled her into the bushes where no one could see her; talked to her; why did you turn me into a whore; she was too beautiful to not be having sex; grabbed her by the neck, lifted her off the ground, and kissed her
  • She kept her hand on her boxcutters in her pocket and hoped she was going to live
  • Bob asked her to come back to his house and come stay there; no one would know
  • Bob said he needed to feel her; he didn't have much time
  • When they came out of bushes two men there (LE?); they walked passed them and left
  • Bob later got arrested (that night?)

No cross

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum